Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Time for a Break


 
I have to tip my hat to working parents who manage to have kids involved in everything under the sun. Ever since I went back to working full time out of the house, trying to keep up with the kids’ homework and after school activities has been running me nuts. 

In light of the fact that we’ve missed tae kwon do more than we’ve gone this past seven weeks for one reason or another, I think we’ve officially decided it’s time to take a break. For the next seven weeks the younger two will have dance on Monday and Wednesday as usual, and we’ll spend the rest of the week squeaking in more time together.

Given that my work schedule is about to flip upside down AGAIN, with me going back to day shifts rather than overnights and working 12-8 two days a week, I think it’s going to be a good thing. The difference in behavior I’ve seen in the kids just from spending more time one-on-one rather than constantly being on the go is a little ridiculous. Less stress, happier and more willing kids, less fighting between siblings.

Definitely time to get some stress off the table and get back to the simpler things in life.

Also…and this is on a completely different tangent…I’m dabbling with the idea of homeschooling for my oldest. This year has been hard for him. He doesn’t do well in a traditional classroom environment. The younger two kids love school, while Mr. A absolutely loathes everything about it. The chance to make learning more hands-on, to take out some of the unnecessary nonsense that goes with it and to personally work with him rather than trusting teachers to find things that work for him, is tempting.

On the other hand, I work 40+ hours a week out of the house at a job I absolutely love. So maybe not. 

We’ll see. On that note, the lazy cats are reminding me that I have to work overnight tonight. Now would be a good time to sleep! 

Sigh. Three more days…

No comments: